Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 19 year old completes college in 1 year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    19 year old completes college in 1 year

    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...422/1003/METRO



    Teen whiz earns U-M degree in one year

    Shawn D. Lewis / The Detroit News


    BLOOMFIELD HILLS -- Like 300 of her honors program classmates, Nicole Matisse will walk in graduation ceremonies at the University of Michigan this weekend.

    Unlike most of them, she's only 19.

    And perhaps unlike anyone, ever, the psychology major will finish her undergraduate degree at Michigan in one calendar year.

    "I'm certainly not perfect," she said, patting her dogs, Mocha and Cloudy, in her parents' Bloomfield Hills home. "I've gotten my share of people who say they wouldn't have done it my way. But I've come to realize there's something positive to be said about being different."

    Her next stop is law school at Wayne State University in the fall. But before that, Matisse plans to write a book. The subject: her meteoric rise through school.

    Matisse began taking courses at Oakland Community College as a junior at Bloomfield Hills Lahser High School, where she was captain of the mock trial team and a member of the varsity soccer, track and tennis teams.

    By the time she applied to the university, she already had racked up 44 credits. With 120 credits required for graduation, Matisse was almost halfway through her sophomore year before she even reached campus.

    She'll collect her diploma this weekend because it's the only graduation ceremony U-M offers, although she still has some course work to do.

    When she got to Ann Arbor last fall, she eschewed the usual student load of 12-17 credits. She took 19 in the fall semester, then 27 in winter. She'll take 23 in the spring, then seven this summer. "When I got to U-M, I only took 19 credits, and I was bored and craved more credits," she said. "So even when I took 27 credits this semester, I felt I could have added even more."

    By August, she will have finished her undergraduate career in less than a calendar year, maintaining a 4.0 grade-point average.

    It's a feat notable even to honors program adviser Liina Wallin, who sees her share of excellent students.

    "Three years is not uncommon, but I don't know anyone who has done it in one year," Wallin said.

    And while Matisse revels in being different -- "an oddball" -- she says she lives a life that could be described as typical for a college student. She lives at home. She goes to the movies with her friends and hangs out in Birmingham. She has a boyfriend, Andy Grimm. She likes to spend Saturdays eating fried pickles with her mom at a favorite restaurant in Clarkston.

    Her mother, Pamela Naboychik, says her daughter was reading fifth-grade books in kindergarten and learned to multiply at age 3. Then she pops in a videotape of Matisse delivering the commencement speech after finishing in the top of her class at Lahser. Matisse gave the speech without notes.

    "I don't think I did anything differently than other moms," Naboychik said. "But I do remember reading to her for at least three hours a day. And we'd always do projects together, involving science or math or crafts."

    Matisse's best friend, Samantha Whitehead, 19, of Bloomfield Hills, is a student at Michigan State University. "She's very determined and very hardworking, and she knows exactly what she wants," Whitehead said.

    And while Matisse's here-for-a-minute approach to college was impressive, Wallin, the U-M adviser, said she would not recommend this fast track for all college students.

    "I admire her tenacity, and it takes a great deal of willpower and time management," Wallin said. "But I think she's shortchanging herself. It's not really the best policy for all students. It works for Nicole. If you've got the time, and our culture says this is the time to do it, then I think it's very good to accomplish it in four years."

    Matisse said she would like to become a successful trial lawyer, a wife and mom, and eventually, a Supreme Court justice.

    "I don't think that my intellectual pursuits will take precedence over my future familial obligations," she said.

    bildeln2

    bilde2pu9
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 19 year old completes college in 1 year

    If only Wise County had the same school offerings this young lady had....
    I had read in another article about how she exhausted her curriculum early in high school, a large number of AP courses, etc.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 19 year old completes college in 1 year

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If only Wise County had the same school offerings this young lady had....
    I had read in another article about how she exhausted her curriculum early in high school, a large number of AP courses, etc. </div></div>


    Yes but the question remains .....how did she preform on the SOL [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 19 year old completes college in 1 year

    With a rack like that, who gives a rat's ass?
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 19 year old completes college in 1 year

    Kids in our counties in SWVA can enter college as juniors if they take ALL of the offered dual enrollment courses. There are alot of them, but not many students take them. You can wipe out both of the 1st 2 english classes, prob-stat, western civ, numerous other maths, numerous sciences, foreign languages. It's not the offerings, it's the students willing to take the classes. It's not that uncommon to have students from our high schools be juniors as far as credits go after 1 semester in college. But, my question is this? Besides the financial implications, why would a student not want to enjoy a college experience instead of rushing through to enter the daily grind they will do for the rest of their life a couple of years early? Life is more than accomplishment...there needs to be some fun and "life experiences" in there as well. But, overall, the prospective college classes offered in our High Schools isn't as bleak as many of you would like to think.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  6. #6
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 19 year old completes college in 1 year

    Big Deal, I completed college in 1 year too. I didn't go back [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member mm38nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2006
    Posts
    279
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 19 year old completes college in 1 year

    Ellen had a kid that completed his in a year as well....He was from UVA....
    [img]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/bostonkisses/snapshot.jpg[/img]


    [url="http://www.thepinksquirrel.com"]http://www.thepinksquirrel.com[/url]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •